Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

How It Starts...


The Snowflake Method

I've been reading lots of "How To's" on writing.  I don't remember when I first found out about the Snowflake Method for constructing a novel, but I rediscovered it a couple of weeks ago and purchased the software that walks you through the various stages of writing from character development to writing a storyline to plot outlining.  This method was created by Randy Ingermanson and I've found it to be very helpful.  Randy offers his software at a discount if you purchase his book, Writing Fiction for Dummies


I did so and I've been reading said book like its water to a man in the desert dying of thirst.  In this book Randy talks about four methods of writing and I've found myself to be a combination of a "seat of the pants" method and the Snowflake Method.  I like to set up some structure to see where I'm going and predict if the story has a life but then when I get down to the actual narrative, dialogue and action, I like to sort of let the characters take me along for the ride.

I don't know if this will work in the long run, but it has worked pretty well so far.  I got an idea for a story and then hashed out some possibilities.  I wrote some small scenes that came to mind and then added to my outline.  Then I let the whole thing sit for a day or so while I read more of the Dummies book and purchased about a dozen books on Kindle that were recommended to me through various sites I've been visiting.

I went back to the outline and changed it around again.  Then I was inspired with an idea for a beginning to the book and wrote that scene.  That led me to what seemed like a natural course of events to follow.

Right now I have several plot ideas and I feel like I just have to connect them together in a smooth and interesting way.  I am eager to finish the first draft so I can begin editing the whole thing.  I have found myself editing some various scenes a few times over and they seem better for it.

I am excited to see where this story will take me.  I want the end result to be entertaining and surprising with some helpful insight on the issues I'm dealing with thrown in for good measure (without being preachy).
I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment